Skip to main content

When Two Became One Again

 

I am often surprised when the sharpness of grief hits me. It seems to come out of nowhere. Life happens and something prods at the gaping wound that John left behind...the one that I have been slowly stitching back together, inch by inch, since he was ripped from my life. Life reminds me that I was once a part of something so much bigger than myself...but I am not anymore...and that hurts.

We had woven our lives together, two became one, for so very long, and then he died. Suddenly I was faced with the daunting task of figuring out how to somehow be half of who I was and a whole new person all at once. Neither of which I ever wanted to be.

It was terrifying to become someone new, all by myself. The first thing I had to do without John was simply survive...and then I had to change everything about who I was and how I lived my life.

I had to lay aside "our" dreams and "our" hopes and "our" life and come up with new ones...and it has been so much harder than you can possibly imagine. Partly because I didn't want to live without him...and partly because I simply didn't know how.

But here I am...killing it. As long as "killing it" means fumbling around like a blind person in a crowd seeking the voice of someone I haven't even met yet. Life is not always a pretty story wrapped up with a glorious happy ending. Sometimes it's raw and rough and redemption all rolled together into a story that challenges everything you thought you believed.

I didn't want to do this...I wanted to live "happily ever after"...I wanted those 70 years with John. But that wasn't our story, and I find myself in the unique position of having to rewrite my life, my identity, and my purpose. We had a future all written out for ourselves and one man's horrible choice changed all of that forever. Talk about a plot twist...

So, as I spend my days sorting through the mass amounts of items that John left behind, I ask myself over and over again "who do I want to be now?" and "how does this add or take away from that life?". Because, when it comes down to it, I get to choose who I am. I am my own whole person, even if that person is somewhat broken. And I get to determine who I want to be now. 

I want to be brave.

I want to be strong.

I want to be happy.

I want to be loved.

So welcome to the new story I am writing. The one where I choose to move forward and heal a little more, every single day. The one where I refuse to live life in fear of the worst case scenario happening again, because fear is the thief of joy (just as much as comparison is). The one where I cry, and hurt, and say "I just want to give up"...but also the one where I don't give up...not even when grief threatens to overwhelm me. The story I chose to keep writing...even when I didn't have the words. 

I wanted things to be easy. I wanted healing to flow from my soul the way that love once did. But healing isn't easy. Healing is gruesome, and heartbreaking, and so very hard.

But I can do hard things, don't you know? If there is nothing else you take away from any of my words let it be this:

I am braver than I ever thought that I could be.

I am stronger than I gave myself credit for.

I am happier than I knew I could be after such grief.

I am more loved than I choose to remember.

Not because I am anything truly special on my own. But because a man fused his life with mine many many years ago. And that man conquered death...even death on a cross. 

We were woven together by choices and redemption. That power far exceeds anything this world can throw at us. And he cannot be ripped from me...even if the worst case scenario happens again...even then. 

I did not think that I could survive the death of my husband...but here I am..."killing it". 
Take a page from my book...as long as that book is the Bible and it provides you with some actual truth and perspective. Because I'm just a young widow who's fumbling through life, I have very little of myself to offer you except this:

God has made all the difference.

Christ has provided all the healing.
 
The Holy Spirit has brought about all the growth.

Without the life changing truth of the gospel I would still be hemorrhaging grief, unable to heal from the worst case scenario that came to life before my very eyes. 

I had such a very great love for a time...and then two became just one...and I chose to keep on living...

And so can you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto