Skip to main content

I Am Not Safe Anymore...


I sat with my friend the other day and we started discussing how anxiety has become an unwelcome addition to our lives since important men we loved have died over the last 2 years...because anxieties exist here...in case you didn't know.

Are you ready for an uncomfortable widow confession?

I do not think that I am safe. 

I have not felt safe in a long time.

Because I am no longer protected...I am the protector. But I don't think that I know enough to actually protect anyone...and this is the lie that eats at my heart when I am vulnerable.

It's not a perfect science. It doesn't make total sense. But it is still at the heart of my fears.

I am not the most important person to anyone anymore. And I think I naively thought that I would be able to adjust to that far more easily than I have. 

There is no one who can rush to rescue me without a second thought, no one who thinks of me first when something happens, no one who seeks me in a crowd first to ensure I'm there, no one who is looking out for me first. I am no one's first priority...as it should be...because we each have our first priorities (spouses or kids or family or ourselves)...I am just not the first one for someone else.  

Don't mistake my words...I don't need someone to come in and rescue me. I am not desperate and lonely. But I am alone...and I find that I am very ill-prepared to be the "man of the house". 

I don't know what to do if my tire blows on the side of the road. I don't know what to do when my confrontational neighbor yells at me yet another time. I don't know what to do when I can't find the help I need. I don't know what to do about the stupid wrench light that appeared in my car's dash two weeks ago.

I wasn't supposed to have to do any of this. I was supposed to have someone who kept me safe. 

My father gave me to a man 14 years ago and that man promised he would always keep me safe. And he did, to the very best of his abilities. But then he was killed...and I was left with the shattered safety that I had taken for granted for so many years. 

I was offered safety, but I declined it, choosing to remain my own independent woman. I was brave and courageous...and so very naive. 

Because I can't do this...I can't do so much of this...

I am simply not capable...or not brave enough. It's hard to say which, but both definitely exist in this space. 

And so...I must face these fears every day: 

Maybe today will be the day that everything falls apart and I find myself incapable of picking up and piecing it all back together?

Maybe today I will find myself stranded on the side of the road?

Maybe today I will break down in front of my neighbor and simply beg him to leave me so very much alone?

Maybe today I will make a mistake that cannot be fixed by sheer grit and determination?

Maybe today? Or maybe tomorrow?

This is the space of a lack of safety that I exist in...and y'all are so kind and generous by telling me how brave and courageous I am. But there are scary things that exist here...and bravery doesn't alway fix them.


Sometimes the natural consequences of a broken world overcome bravery...


But I guess the choice I have is to either dwell on it or to keep moving forward.

And I certainly have never known myself to stand still in the face of adversity, have I? 


It must be the Spirit of power that exists within me. 

The God that whispers "Courage, dear heart."

The Savior that calls me to try again, to try still, to try "even though"...

The one that reminds me that I may not be safe...but He is. 


I have the choice to believe that that's enough for me. 


And that...that is where the bravery comes in...

Knowing that even though I am not safe anymore...He still is...and I choose Him.




Comments

  1. I know , I feel the same way , I pray “ Lord, You promised to be my husband , help me to ……..” And He does !
    Isaiah 54:5 ..”for your Maker is your husband ,the Lord of hoste His name and the Holy one of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth He is called”
    Praise His Holy name , aren’t we blessed? Kathleen , I pray for you and your daughter, love ,in Christ alone,Juliana.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto