Skip to main content

This Is Who I Am

 

It is crazy to me that we never really got a family photo. Not one where we were all alive and thriving. Every single one of our family photos represent brokenness and loss. For years John and I took Kimber's picture with us on photoshoots, always wanting to acknowledge our son, despite his absence. 

Now...now it seems so strange that we aren't collectively keeping his memory alive. Now I carry the burden of two legacies all alone. 

A month ago I decided that I wanted one last family photo. One last moment of honoring legacies as I continue to pick up the pieces of this broken life and walk forward. 

It felt like goodbye, one last time. One last representation for the family we were...the one we aren't any longer.



Thank you John. 

Thank you for so many wonderful years of adventure.

Thank you for choosing to love me, and for continuing to choose to love me for over 14 years.

Thank you for the life of our son, for his red hair, and his handsome face.

Thank you for building his legacy with me.

Thank you for leading our family and for consistently seeking Christ in your life.

Thank you for always taking care of me, and for never giving up on anything, or anyone. 

Thank you for never giving me a moment of doubt of your love...not even once, and for always being sure of my love for you.


I am filled with endless "thank you"s and hundreds of "I'm sorry"s.


I never imagined that I would have to find a new life because John died...I never thought he would die before me. I never thought that I would be in the position of redefining who I am as a woman. 

In the past few months I have been doing the hard work of processing through my grief. Choosing to accept my new life, laying down the mantles of "wife" and "mother" and picking up the sackcloth of "single".

Here I am. This is my journey, this is my story, and this is my path. I know that I cannot spend my life railing against the injustice of the hand dealt to me. I can only grieve my losses, accept what I cannot change, and move forward. Because, if I refuse to move forward, I'll only ever be stuck in the grief of my past. And I refuse to sacrifice the purpose of my life to the brokenness of grief. Christ's sacrifice for our lives gives us purpose. Even in grief, the gospel is true and life-changing, a purpose for the purposeless.  

So I am taking my steps, one at a time, whenever I feel ready for them. 

I might get it wrong. I might take some steps too early, or some too late.

But, if I know anything, I know that there is grace in this grieving.

I do not need to be consumed with making the wrong choices or with making choices too soon. I know that my life was ordained long before this, and I need not worry that I can wander too far from Christ. I am not expected to react perfectly, or to walk this path without mistakes.

I only need to seek Christ, and to do the best I can in my very finite understanding. 



This is who I am. 

I carry the legacies of the ones I have loved.

I am broken but somehow still beautiful.

I am nothing and everything all at once.

I am grief and joy, walking hand in hand.

I know exactly who I am in Christ, and next to nothing about who I am in the world.

Join me in this journey...its going to be amazing...I just know it.

Comments

  1. I love how you give God glory above all else! Your story continues to encourage and inspire me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re such an encouraging friend! I am so blessed that you’ve chosen to life’s road beside me! ♥️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto