Skip to main content

The Choice in Grace and Coffee Beans

This world has proven that it has the ability to deal the harshest of blows…more than once.

When our son died I think I unconsciously thought that, after such devastation, God wouldn’t allow such heartbreak to happen to me again. 


And then we struggled for almost 8 years to conceive again. We tried multiple avenues to adopt and were met with so many closed doors. It felt, so often, like a slap in the face. But, at the very least, a somewhat manageable one. 


We had each other, and the love for and legacy of our son lived on in us. We made every effort to remember Kimber’s short life in meaningful ways. After almost 8 years, we knew the legacy we wanted for Kimber, and we knew how we could create it, and carry it on in our lives. 


And then my husband died. 


John died…just like Kimber.


And suddenly, I was so very, very alone. 


My entire family died and left me to carry on their legacies, alone. 


The entirety of my heart rejected the notion of carrying on alone, and I was faced with panic attack after panic attack because “I don’t want to do this”…because I didn’t. 


I didn’t want to have to carry this burden alone. I didn’t want to find the goodness in the heartache. I didn’t want to have to find joy again after losing it for a while. I didn’t want to have to choose hope again, for hope has seemingly betrayed me endlessly these last 8 years. 


It just takes so much work, and so much effort. And I just couldn’t bring myself to face it. So, panic attack after panic attack, I cried and begged for this cup to pass from me. 


But it didn’t.


And then I had to choose to face it.


I had to accept that the most important person in my life had been taken from me, and that I was no longer the most important person to anyone. 


I had to, once again, look into the faces surrounding me and accept that there will be one more missing for always.


I had to look around at the life we had built together and realize that none of it mattered in the same way anymore. 


I had to make the familiar choice to still love God when my life was shattered.


I had to decide to believe in the goodness and faithfulness of God even now, even in this.


Its still the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make, and its one that I have to continually make day after day.


I had to make it when I sat in a funeral home discussing what I wanted done with his body.


I made it when I stood on the stage at his memorial service and said that I chose to forgive and love the driver who chose to get high and then get behind the wheel of a car thus ending the life of the most wonderful man I've ever known.


I had to make it when I spread John’s ashes at the spot he proposed 14 years ago, the same spot we spread our son’s ashes 8 years ago. 


I made it again and again and again. And I still have to make it, every day. It’s the choice of a lifetime, one made daily, in the continual renewing of my mind. 


And I am just so very thankful that there is such a thing as grace, because my heart and mind have failed me so many times in the last 10 weeks. But there is One so much more faithful than I, and I choose Him a long time ago, and continue to choose Him.


Today I chose to make coffee for the very first time since John died. It was a seemingly innocuous task, but not if you knew John. He was a self-proclaimed coffee snob. He loved the science of brewing that perfect cup of coffee with the freshest local beans he could find. And he made me a cup every single morning.


Today I chose to accept the the fact that I now have to make my own coffee every morning…it was only partially a disaster, so I will count it as a win.


Today I choose to remember that there is grace for today and bright hope for tomorrow…even if it’s just precisely measured coffee beans soaked in exactly 202 degree water.




Comments

  1. <3 Thank you so much for sharing this. It is so helpful to hear, for those who have experienced a similar grief, and for those who have no idea what you're going through. Thank you for your vulnerability. It matters. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! Its been such a journey to even get to this stage where I am able to write and share what's been going on. I appreciate your kind, supportive words!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful words from a broken heart. Your writing will continue to inspire and encourage others. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your struggle. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I appreciate your support and your prayers. You have been so wonderful in remembering and reaching out to me!

      Delete
  3. Awww that’s an awesome step to make coffee! Ever since I heard about you loosing your husband I’ve had a place in my mind and heart for you. I know I don’t really know you but I know people that know you.
    -Marie Parker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, thank you for reading and for your kind words. It has been a crazy journey since my husband’s passing, but I’m so thankful for people like you.

      I’m slowly progressing with my coffee skills! 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto