Skip to main content

I Can Do Hard Things

I spent over 14 years cultivating a relationship with my husband and it took less than 5 seconds to decimate it completely.


If I’ve learned anything in the 12 weeks since his death, it’s that that old habits die hard. Those habits strive to live in split seconds of the day. Split seconds where your mind reacts before thinking and you’re left a little broken, having to remind yourself that those habits can no longer exist in the life you now have.


I notice every time that I slip and refer to John in the present tense, instead of the past tense. I inwardly cringe every time. I hate doing it in front of strangers, it makes me feel like I’m lying to them. John isn’t here anymore, he’s only in the past. 


I try catching myself before I speak the words “we” or “us”, forcing myself to acknowledge that I am no longer a part of either. There are no more “Cunninghams” or “Mr. and Mrs.” or couple activities. There is just Katharine Cunningham…neither a wife nor really a mother. Both of those institutions were so grievously ripped from me. 


I cannot tell you the amount of times that I have thought about texting John, I even used to reach for my phone over and over in those first few weeks. He was my very best friend, I told him absolutely everything about my day and my life. He honored it all, always willing to take the time for a call or text. He literally never complained that I texted him too much. Say what you want about technology, but I lived a life in constant communication with my husband, and I will never regret it. 

But he is not here to text anymore. No more phone calls or messages…just silence.


I have caught myself reaching for him in the middle of the night. John came to bed after I was asleep so often in the last few years. I would always reach out to him if I woke up to make sure he was there before falling back asleep. It fully wakes me up every time I find an empty space where he was supposed to be. Where he was always supposed to be. 


I remember, after my son Kimber died, that my body physically ached for his presence in my arms. They felt empty and broken without his weight in them. It reminded me of when people describe their experiences with “phantom limb”. It was supposed to be there, Kimber was supposed to be there. John was supposed to be here. I’ve been kissed, hugged, and loved for the past 14 years…and it stopped so unbearably quick. I’m not normally a hugger with anyone and physical touch is most definitely not my love language. But I loved it with John, he was the only one whose hug calmed me and made me feel safe. I have to remind myself that the absence of all of that is a permanent experience. It was supposed to always be a part of our marriage…but our marriage no longer exists.


There are things I know he would have loved, but they remain on store shelves.

There are stories that he would have laughed at but they remain untold.

There are secrets written in a journal rather than in a text.

There are thousands of unspoken “I love you”s.


Split seconds remind me of what I once had and what I tragically lost. 


But I do not have to live in those split seconds. 

I can choose to acknowledge them, grieve the loss of them, and move forward. I can make the minutes matter, the hours purposeful, and the days joyful. 


I have faced each obstacle and have told myself “I am strong and courageous. I can do hard things.” 


Those split seconds matter, because my life with John mattered. But those split seconds will eventually become just memories. And I know that new habits are already forming. But, those split seconds have taught me the importance of habits. They’ve taught me to choose to cultivate habits that matter, that mean something. 


Change your habits, keep them the same, develop new ones. Just make sure that they are worth cultivating. 


I am Katharine Cunningham.


I am a widow.


I can choose to have a wonderful life.


I am strong and courageous.


I can do hard things.





Comments

  1. Thank you Katharine for the inspiration. Your soul is beautiful thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ. 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for sharing such beautiful thoughts with me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto