Skip to main content

Hey Kid...



Hey Kid...

I was reading though the pages of our Mother/Daughter journal and I saw that you'd written something new...and my whole heart just felt like it could burst.

I hurt for you and I hope for you all at once. 

One day you're going to look back on these early years and you will finally understand everything that went on behind closed doors in order to bring about our "everlasting family".

All those questions I dodged or only half-answered. All the time I spent on budgeting and paperwork. All the moments I felt overwhelmed and confused about all the work and legality it takes to make a stranger your child. 

Babe, believe me when I say that I only wanted you to carry what I thought your 13 year old heart could bear. I didn't want to lay my heaviness and my hurts on you. I shared them with you when I could, when they wouldn't burden you.

I wanted you to be included in these important steps but I still wanted that childlike freedom to fill your soul. The freedom that was stolen from you in your younger years. I promised that I wasn't going to be just another parental figure who took you in and let you go far too easily. I wasn't going to be yet another person who laid their mental well-being at your door. 

I wanted to be your freedom...be your grace...be your laughter...and your joy. 

I chose to be your teacher...your defender...your discipline...and your conscience.

Because life wasn't good enough for you, kid...not even close.

It robbed you of years of confidence and surety. Trust and love were cloaked in deception and pain in your eyes. But I knew what your heart and mind were capable of...deep down. Hidden beneath the self-protection and all the fear. 

I saw it all in you...and I chose to be the one to call it out of the darkness and into the light. 

I'll never say that it was easy. You didn't want me or accept me when I first brought you home. We were strangers playing at being mother and daughter. You pretended that this was just another stop in the merry-go-round that was your childhood...and I was determined to change your whole world.

And I did...just as much as you changed mine. 

You and me, kid, we changed the whole world.

And one day, one day you're gonna see all of this for exactly what it is. It was hard, grueling work, for the both of us. We chose to be family when we didn't have to, when it didn't even feel natural to. We worked through the fights and the sass and all the impatience your sinful mom showed. We apologized and forgave and sinned again. And it certainly didn't stop when the adoption became finalized (I anticipate).

But we loved, babe, we loved, and lived life together. It wasn't easy, and it wasn't always natural or nice and neat. But we did it. 

That's what we are gonna see when we look back on this season. We are going to see the worthwhile building and shaping of lost legacies and broken families. 

It wasn't supposed to be this way...broken people and broken families. But, even so, it was ordained from the very beginning. By a God who cares and loves us far more than we deserve or are capable of.

John once said that broken babies were his favorite...

He was right...so freaking right.

And you...you will always have been worth it. No matter what...for always.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto