Skip to main content

Broken Things

Do you know how hard it can be to live the life my late husband and I cultivated specifically for a future together?

All the plans, all the dreams, and all the hopes...

He left me behind with all these broken things that he was fully capable of fixing…things I have no idea what to do with.

The old water pump he planned on replacing.  

The Land Rover he laughed about even as it broke every month and he spent far more hours than he planned tuning it up.  

The broken doorknobs that keep adding up. 

The ridiculous internet that has only gotten worse the more we try to fix it  

The dishwasher that decided to start dying this weekend  

…me.

I had to figure out how to survive without him. How to fix or replace all the broken things he enjoyed so much.

He loved things because they were broken. He loved that they had a history…a story. He wanted to be a part of that legacy. To give something a new life, a new hope. 

And then he died…leaving me with all the broken things he hadn’t fixed yet.

I spent years learning to love what he loved because I loved him. I instinctually dislike fixing things...its never been something that I find fulfilling. Nor am I particularly skilled at it. And now I'm surrounded with things that need fixing and I am not even sure I want to keep some of them.

I constantly have to decide if I like the things in my house because I actually like them or because they once made him happy. Because he was so much a part of me for so very long…for a while I didn’t even know who I was without him, what I even liked just for myself.

It still feels incredibly selfish to do things just because I like them. And don’t even get me started on doing things that I know he never would have done or never wanted me to do. 

I feel like a big jerk. Being someone new…without him. Sometimes I feel like I’m betraying him, betraying my family. But I couldn’t handle being the same me every day after he died. Parts of that person died when he died…and I had to discover who I am now. And I hate it. I really do. 

I hate that he made me feel loved and beautiful. I hate that his touch brought me comfort. I hate that he made me feel safe. I hate that I trusted him with every part of heart.

Because he died…and so did those parts of me. 

I hate that I’m lonely. I hate that the lack of physical comfort makes me ache some days. I hate that I don’t feel safe anymore  I hate that I’m not loved and that the men who call me beautiful just want my body and not my heart. I hate that I don’t trust anyone anymore.  

I hate that I long for another partner. Not to be him, or fill some empty part of me. I long for another partner because I believe in a life of love and partnership. Because I had it once, I know it exists...and what we are all capable of. 

I hate that I don’t actually hate what he did to me…

I hate that I don't hate the broken parts of me he left behind…the things only he fixed…

I wouldn’t trade them for anything. They’re the scars that our life together left on me. Because it was so worth remembering…so worth experiencing. 

I’m still a broken thing…hoping that someone who sees beauty and worth in broken things sees me…really sees me...and wants to be a part of the tragically beautiful legacy I carry with me...for always.

Until then, even if it's never "then", I will sit in my broken house surrounded by my broken things trying to patch up everything the very best I can...while letting go of the things that truly don't matter anymore.

In this wonderful patchwork life that I’m determined to love. 

If you're wondering how Jesus fits into this scenario, just remember he was the was the one who truly taught us what it meant to love the broken things. What it meant to create a legacy from the ashes. What it could be like to be truly redeemed from all the brokenness. 

My broken home, filled with my broken dreams, holding my broken daughter, and my broken heart...are all laid down at the foot of the very cross that first declared that there nothing was too broken that the almighty God couldn't call it out of the ashes into the marvelous light. 

There is hope in this patchwork life...maybe not in the fixing of things here on earth...but in the knowledge that this was never meant to be our home...and these patches are only temporary. 

Until then maybe I'll do silly things like get a fourth dog, or a new piercing, or shave the side of my head because John wouldn't have liked it...but I do. And I think I'm ok with that...because I like me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto