Skip to main content

A Year Ago, Today, Life Was Perfect...Then June Broke My Heart

 

Welcome to the harrowing month of June. 

I won't lie, I have been dreading its arrival. Last year, today, life was so beautiful. John and I were in such a happy place. 

We were expecting to announce a pregnancy at any moment...

His business was literally booming and he was incredibly fulfilled in his work.

We were very connected with our family, friends, church, and community.

We we were so in love and so very happy...

June 1st 2021 was just another normal day in our wonderful life.

We were preparing for a pregnancy, John's birthday, Father's Day, and our 13th wedding anniversary. Some gifts were already purchased and hidden in expectation of those special days. We even had a little box of hopeful items for a new baby...

June...you used to hold my very favorite moments, I couldn't wait for you to come around every year...

Now...now I wish we could, maybe, skip you...just this once.

Oh June, you broke my heart...and I am just not sure how to face you this time around. 

Please be gentle. Please be kind. 

In a few days I will face the day that John woke up and kissed me goodbye for the very last time. 

And my soul aches. 

It aches for who I was last year on June 1st...

It aches for who I became on June 6th...

It aches for all the grief and all the fear and all the pain that June brought...

I loved so very much.

I lost so very much.

A year has passed and life has someone continued. I've healed and hoped and loved in a world without the very best man I ever knew, even though I did not want to.

I. Did. Not. Want. To.

I did not want to plan his funeral...but I did.

I did not want to write his obituary and eulogy...but I did.

I did not want to bury my husband next to my son...but I did.

I did not want to clear out his things...but I did.

I did not want to move on without him...but I did.

I did not want to do the hard things...but I did.

I wanted to believe that this June would be so much easier than last June. And it is, in lots of ways. But my soul still hurts in lots of ways too.

So, please be gentle...please be kind.

I can see all the pain and grief that rested in my eyes in this picture I took just a month and a half after my husband died. I truly wondered if light would ever enter my eyes again...


So many people are carrying the weight of the world in their hearts, even when you cannot see it in their eyes.

We know that Christ has redeemed all things...but he had to go through the pain first. Redemption doesn't mean life isn't extremely painful. 

Instead of expecting people to carry their crosses with bravery and strength what if we stepped out of the crowd like Simon of Cyrene and helped them? He was called out of the crowd to help a weakened man...are we not similarly called?

I am so very thankful for the people who helped me carry my burdens this past year. And I am sorry for when I refused to let them help. I was just learning my new way through this life...I still am, if I'm honest.

I come here, time after time, just hoping that I can open the door to the understanding of grief a little bit more. Because I believe that it matters and that it will be worth it. 

If we only have the strength to be gentle...and kind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto