Skip to main content

Because Loss Is Hard

We’ve been through a season of changes in the last two years (see my previous blog for more details). But I haven’t said much about how the process of grief has been woven into that and what that looks like.

My family home of 30 years is being sold. The home where I grew up; exploring the river, roaming the mountains, and running through open fields surrounding us.

It’s the place where we announced our pregnancy to my family, where we celebrated our baby and his little cousin together, where we talked about his future and hopes and dreams we had for him. 

It’s also the place we buried him. 


Where I cried at the kitchen table with my mom and my sister and said “I don’t know how to plan his funeral...I don’t know how to bury him”. 
Where I came to see my mom the day before his service and cried “I feel like a bad mom, and I don’t know how I can do this”. 

It’s the place we all gathered together and had a memorial service for him and it’s the place we come every year, on September 4, to celebrate his birthday, and his beautiful little life. 

And it’s hurts to say goodbye to a place that has meant so much to me. 

I know we can make new memories someplace else...but he was here. 

He was alive as we walked the garden pathways and along the creek. 

He kicked as his cousin slept soundly on my pregnant belly on the porch overlooking the river. 

He grew as we celebrated every second of his miraculous life after trying for so long to have him. 

      

   A year and a half ago we said goodbye to the home that held his nursery, hand painted by my mother. 
Goodbye to the place where he lived the most, where we felt him first kick and move, where we joyously awaited his arrival. 
The place where we deeply mourned, and the place where we found healing again. 

And now we are gearing up to say goodbye again. And its a new grief. 
Because I don’t have the little red headed boy to go and make new memories with. I only have the memories we made while he was alive. And this place was a part of it. 

I’m just so thankful that we have loving family and friends who walk with us through this grief. Who have always let us grieve and supported us. 

And I’m so very blessed to have a husband who loves Kimber as much as me and grieves with me. He loves Jesus and points me to Him when I feel lost in the sea.  
Because loss is hard...and there are always hard times, even when the years dull the sharp edges of grief. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Dear John

 Hey Babe, For the record, I still freaking hate this. I hate that you’re dead. I hate that some stupid ridiculously selfish choice ended your whole life…and changed mine forever.  I didn’t want this. I promised to love you forever, to choose you forever, to honor you forever…and forever freaking ended way too soon. And I still hate it. I wanted forever with you, John, I still want that forever with you.  I understand all the crazy things that widows do now. I understand why they get rid of all the things. I understand why they sell their house and move. I understand why they cut people off. I understand why they hide. I understand why they run away.  Because I’ve wanted to do all of those things, Babe, I have. I’ve wanted to take all the “easy” way outs. I’ve wanted to just hate the world you left me all alone in. I’ve wanted to force my heart to stop feeling all of the things…even the good things. Because having you missing from me was the deepest cut to my soul I’ve ever experienced

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con