Skip to main content

The Truths In Infertility

I've literally spent years learning how to be a barren woman.   

     It sounds strange doesn't it? Like I had to go to school and stumble through a bachelors degree in infertility and years later I'm still working on my masters in barren-hood. Obviously I started by majoring in motherhood but somehow flunked out and realized that my credits could transfer so I'm here just trying to survive finals. 

     Did I take the analogy too far? It was just to show you that this is a process, a process that does require learning new things, and re-learning old things. A process that forces you to re-evaluate where you thought you were going and makes you change your behavior to be successful. 

     I tend to be upfront and possibly a tad blunt when it comes to infertility. Why are we so secretive about such a defining part of our lives? If my leg was amputated I wouldn't be constantly hiding it under a blanket after I've healed. Trying to not bring up the fact that I can't walk the same anymore. I've had to learn to walk again! It might make someone uncomfortable, but it's true and it's blazingly obvious.

   My husband and I have dealt with different stages of infertility...  


 Before we conceived our son: 
     It was all new, hard, unending, but hopeful. Never did it seem to be a constant thing. I felt like we always knew things would change. One day there would be two pink lines and a tiny redhead in our arms.  During that time we learned patience. Sure we dealt with jealousy of others and their sweet babes, but those feelings were weak and easily overcome by hope and peace. It was our time of naivety and blissful hope. I always say that it was the time the Lord prepared us for the much rougher road ahead. I am ever thankful that we had somewhat prepared hearts. 
 It was the time for gentle truths.   

 After our son died: 
     The infertility we dealt with then was...powerful. My heart was boldly convinced that God would not leave us without children in this world. I was so sure that, having dealt with Kimber's death graciously, we were going to welcome a new baby before Kimber's birthday. After all, hadn't we already put in years of infertility? The time spent there was achingly painful. Wounds that hadn't healed, throbbed in pain and still freshly bled. Another nail in the coffin, kicking us while we were down, adding insult to injury, all that jazz.  God was reminding us that He makes the plans, not us. He was grieving with us and shepherding us into our new roles as parents to a dead baby. He was reminding us of who He is and the realities of loss and faith.
It was the time for harsh truths.     

Two years ago: 
    We've literally spent years asking God for the same thing and in His infinite wisdom He has denied us that. We have spent years longing and waiting for this "one thing" and have been met with resounding "No"s across the board. We've explored every byway and roundabout and have met roadblocks and collapsed bridges. We've spent our fair share of time in doubt and wonderings. We've offered up compromises and dreams. We stumbled around just trying to figure out how we still fit into the world.
It was the time for subtle truths.  

   The last year until now: 
     Infertility is not longer a battle we wage against. It has now become a part of who we are. It has shaped our relationship with each other and with God. The process of letting go and moving forward has been slow but God has met us every step of the way. With every step He has asked us to take we've obeyed and have been met with resounding peace and hope. Hope in the true nature of our Father. We have the truth that this life is not the end, and that the purpose of this life is not for our dreams. We've moved passed our own desires and have embraced His. We may not know every step but we know the one in front of us, and we take it. The prayer "Your will be done" resounds in our hearts and home, it has become our anthem song. In times of grief we know He "remembers the barren". The longing in our hearts may never cease, but we choose to not let it define us. It has been replaced by the truths of a good and perfect Father.    
 Now is the time for His fulfilling truths.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto