Skip to main content

One More, Here We Go, Letting Go

     This is a hard one... Last year John and I prayed deeply about stopping actively trying to conceive. We spent a month in prayer and asked a few people to pray for us as well. John and I felt like we needed to stop. Stop with the tests, stop with the meds, stop with tracking cycles, stop with the supplements. I specifically felt like this was just for a year, I wasn't sure what we were supposed to do after that year but I knew He would reveal it in His time.

     The Lord blessed us so much in honoring Him and trusting His will for us. We have truly had an amazing year. We traveled to Brazil on a missions trip, took weekend trips to Lancaster, Kings Dominion and Va Beach, vacationed with our family in the Outerbanks, and took a once in a lifetime trip to Albuquerque, the Grand Canyon, and Cimarron! And the year isn't even over yet!!! I can honestly say this year has been one of the busiest years we've ever had.

     At the beginning of the year John told me that he wanted our family motto for the year to be "As Family We Go". Focused on being a united front shining the light of Christ and spreading the gospel wherever the Lord leads us. We have had amazing opportunities both at home and far from it in which we felt the Lord used us for His will. We could not be more honored with His handiwork in our lives.

     But, in the back of my mind, I've been waiting for that one year to be up. I'm ready Lord, I'm ready for You to finally give me what I've been waiting for. Our entire journey of infertility and Kimber's death we have said that His will is our deepest desire. We've prayed so many prayers simply asking that our hearts reflect His will for us.

     Last month during my prayer time I wrote to the Lord

 "My heart longs for a baby. Every part of me feels that I meant to be a mother... A mother to a living child. What I want is to be where You are. I would never want to be away from You. Despite how desperately I want to baby, I want You more. I want to live in Your will, rejoicing in Your plan for my life. Please lead my heart to Your will. If we are not to have children please remove or lessen that longing and desire in my heart.  Lord, I feel like it is woven so deeply into my being... But I beg of You, to rip it from me if it is not Your will. I know it will be painful, but I also know that a tree cannot grow if a vine is smothering it. I want to be rooted only in You. Your truth and promises sustain me. Lord, please remind me of this when I am feeling brokenhearted.

     Last week I once again felt the Lord speaking to my heart. He told me that it was time, but not for what I was expecting. He told me it was time to let go of the last few things we have been saving for our baby. The precious few things we have saved these past three years hoping that one day another little red headed sweetheart would be able to use them. My heart scrambled to the outer edges of His will, hoping there might be a clause in it I missed that meant I could still keep a treasure or two for just a little longer.

     But His peace surrounded my heart and reminded me of my own words I'd spoken to the Lord so very often in our infertility
"Lord, you are all we need. You are enough for us, if we never have children Your will is still good and perfect for us. We want only what You have for us. You are enough, You are everything.

      And I felt His deep presence, whispering to me
 "I have asked you to walk out in faith one step at a time. These steps have led you away from your dreams but closer to me. You have often said I am enough, that I am all you need. I'm asking you to take that final step in proving those words true. Let them go Katharine, it is time."

     And it is...it is time. Time to say goodbye to the last few things we've held onto for so many years.  Because He truly is more than enough for us. He is everything we want. 

  Because it's not about giving up on dreams, it's about being faithful enough to trust that His dreams are better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto