Skip to main content

When A Rainbow Baby Doesn't Come

There are so many stories out there about beautiful "rainbow babies". For those of you who aren't familiar with the term "rainbow baby" here is a simple explanation of the term.



After we first lost Kimber I loved the term. I was so convinced that the Lord would provide a rainbow baby for us and show us that He saw our hurt and was blessing us with the sunshine and hope of another baby.
But our empty arms stayed empty and our broken hearts continued to stay broken. Month after month, negative test after negative test, and still no baby. We did all the tracking and all the meds and still no rainbow baby.

So, where did that leave us? We were in a perpetual state of trying to conceive and were always delaying trips or plans because of "what's ifs" and "maybe thens". We would count the months and see due dates and plan around them because we just kept thinking our rainbow baby was just around the corner.

As the reality of our secondary infertility settled in my heart I struggled with the idea of a rainbow baby. I struggled with the constant reminders that I was supposed to have a rainbow, but just kept getting more storms.
Why didn't God love us enough to give us a rainbow? As I sold of piece by piece of our nursery, our hopes and dreams, why didn't He bless us with our rainbow? Why was I so unworthy of a rainbow when I had faithfully loved and honored Him though our loss?

Being a mother has always been the only thing I ever wanted to be. Growing up in a large family and seeing my loving mother stay home to take care of us instilled in me a great love for children and for motherhood. I never wanted anything else than to be a wife and a mother.

So, the process of accepting infertility and the death of our only child and then infertility again has been astoundingly humbling.
But, the Lord has taught us so much during these struggles. Mainly He has shaped our wills and our hearts to want only what He has for us, whatever that may be. Teaching us how broken and frail our own plans and dreams are compared to His.

In that process, we have been constantly assailed with the "rainbow baby" phenomenon. The constant reminder that the end of our storm should have had a rainbow, that we are still struggling in our storm because He has not given us a rainbow baby. That, somehow, we failed our trial, through storm, because we were not given the gift of a little sunshine rainbow baby.

So, what do you do when a rainbow baby never comes?

You find your true identity. You remind your heart that being a mother is not what defines you, God does. You find your identify rooted in Him and His truths, and you don't rely on the sufferings of your heart to define you.
You focus on Christ, not on yourself.

In doing so you will be reminded that despite the lack of a rainbow baby you have still been supplied with the the end of your storm. You will be reminded that the Lord, Himself, is the light at the end of your storm. He is the faithful Father who watched you through the storm. He calmed the raging seas and called you out to walk with Him amongst the waves.

The end of your story is not the blessing of a rainbow baby or the lack there of. The true ending is the bright love of a Father who is the light that shines through. And, if you look close enough, He is the light you see amidst the storm as well. The very light you cling to that holds your head above the crashing waves.

Never forget that it is not the rainbow that brings purpose and true healing to your storm, it is the Light.

"Jesus again spoke to them, saying 'I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.'" -John 8:12

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:5 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto