Skip to main content

I See The Pharisee...

 

I find myself often reminded by the Holy Spirit that I am not some paragon of living a life of grief well. I wouldn't say that I struggle a lot with the mentality that I am...but I know that I could...if I just gave myself a little leeway. If I just gave myself a little too much grace...I could see the pharisee in me.

The pharisees of the New Testament relied on all the traditions and all the laws and all the order that God set in place to bring about connection prior to the coming of the Messiah. They relied so heavily on "checking the boxes" that they rejected the man who was sent to save them. They puffed up their chests with pride and relied on the letter of the law...completely forgetting the heart of the law. The heart that beat inside the chest of the very man they chose to hate.

I want to live a good life. I want to do the right things. I want to follow the perfect order of things that God laid out for us in the Bible. The pharisee in me wants to check off all the boxes that comfort my legalistic heart. Wants to proclaim that I did this...I rose above this...I became better...did more...chose well.

I see the pharisee in me...

So I choose to do something about it. Instead of allowing that false narrative to take root in my heart I choose to reject the notion that I have brought anything to the table on my own. I choose to embrace the weakest and most broken parts of myself and I offer them up to the Lord as the reminder that I am nothing...and He is everything. 

I am weakness personified. And I come to these pages time and time again and I choose to share those weaknesses with you. To remind you as well...there is a pharisee, a sinner, in me...and I have only made it this far, done this well, become this healed, because of everything that Christ has woven into me.

I don't want my story to come off as some sort of example of what happens when you "make all the right choices". Because that idea is a fallacy that only exists in this world to tear down and diminish the sinner, the broken, the grievers of the world. And if we know anything at all about the gospel of Jesus Christ, it's that it was never given to us to diminish us. The gospel was given to rebuild us...redeem us...to bring us out of the mire and to crown us in righteousness. 

We can make good choices, healthy choices, sinless choices, don't me wrong. But that is not what truly separates us from the world.

If you really sit down and think about it, there is very little that actually separates me from the man who killed my husband...

We are both devastatingly broken people living in an even more broken world.

The pharisee in me could point out all the "bad" choices he made that led him down his path...and all the "good" choices I made that led me to mine.

But, when it really comes down to it...to our hearts...Jesus is the thing that truly separates us...truly makes us different. 

I am filled with hope, and purpose, and love, and redemption because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and my acceptance of that. 

He could be too, if he but took a moment and surrendered his life.

I stand by the conviction that God would forgive him for killing my husband...if he cried out to him...if his heart was changed...truly surrendered.

God forgives the sinner...the addict...the murderer...

Even the pharisee in me sees that.

I am so very thankful that God saw the pharisee in me and chose to believe that I was worth saving. Because in His eyes, in the eyes of the law my heart longs to cling too, I am just as guilty as the addict...as the murderer. I am still just as much in need of a savior on my best day as I ever was on my worst day. 

Because all sin is equally damning...although not equally damaging (Mark Driscoll).  

So I will spend my life reminding the pharisee in me to lay aside the letter of the law and to embrace the heart of the law, for there is goodness and purpose in the heart of the law. The heart of a loving Father who wove redemption into our broken stories to bring us back to Him. 

Join me in embracing the weakness, for in it, His power is made perfect.

I see the pharisee in me, y'all, it just doesn't have to define any part of my story...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto