Skip to main content

The Longing That Never Fades


I stopped longing for John. I didn't realize that that was something that would truly happen.

I cannot begin to express to you the guilt that sometimes supersedes relief when your soul accepts that there is no longer hope in longing for your late spouse. 

Because I haven't just stopped longing for him, I have also been longing for a different partner to exist in my future. I don't want to live the rest of my life without the intimacy and love that I know can exist in a godly marriage. I don't want my daughter to never know the love of an earthly father who chooses to keep her forever. In all the support and love that we have in our family and our community, there is no substitution for a husband and a father, tangibly felt in an earthly presence.

And when I tell you that it is hard. I want you to truly understand that depths of that. 

It is hard to do things in my life that people do not agree with or are not ready for. There is no winning in grief, there is only accepting grief and how it manifests in each of us differently. None of us are on the same page as we grieve John's absence. And the whole world continues to remind me that it has not be very long since John died. I have not forgotten, my friends, and, as always, I appreciate your concern and words of wisdom. But I am the author of this particular story and these are the words I am choosing to write.  

It is hard to imagine someone who could possibly fit into my world. The complexity of being a widowed, single mother in the dating world is certainly not lost on me. Most men my age haven't gone through even a small portion of the grief and trauma that I have experienced in my 33 years. And I am glad for them, I am thankful that grief has not taken a front seat in their lives. But, I have a different story, and it seems harder to imagine a man willing to walk into that and embrace it wholeheartedly. And am I selfish for asking that of one...particularly when the simplicity of an unburdened wife is a true blessing?

It would be hard to introduce him into my life: "Thanks for thinking I'm a pretty awesome. Oh, by the way, here is my adopted teen, years of infertility and grief, a dead spouse, and a stillborn son…and the friends and family that also loved my little family and who still grieve them...you good?"

What a burden for a man to bear. To come into a well-established and well-broken family, and to willingly take up the mantle of husband, father, protecter, and spiritual leader. 

The calling of my life has been to grieve, and to grieve well, to find the joy amidst the bitter brokenness, and to rejoice in even the hardest of moments. 

It's been incredibly hard. And, oftentimes, it still is. 

I cannot tell you if there is some godly plan for another man to walk into my life and choose to stay. But I can tell you that I have hope there could be a man like that. If only because I have seen them in my world. In my friend who chose to believe that being a stepfather in the messiness of life was a cherished calling, in my father-in-law who never differentiated between the child born of his blood or the ones born of his marriage to their mother (much like his father before him), and in my own father who built a whole, god-fearing family from his previously broken one. 

I have seen such redemptive stories in my life...and it always seems like it's worth longing for...worth searching for...worth fighting for. 


Comments

  1. God always has the answers! When a man walks into your life. No godly man will ever find your troubles or struggles a burden. Keep loving your loved ones and hug and kiss them tighter in this crazy world. Keep your head up. Keep smiling 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words and your willingness to share this with us. I love you so much and I desire so much for you and Laura to have this longing fulfilled. ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto