Skip to main content

She Made Me a Mom...Again

I don't know if I even have the words to describe my current state of life. 

It's been incredibly amazing in its unfolding.

It's been completely surreal in its beauty.

And it's been heartbreakingly hard in its entirety. 

I think there was truly a time when I chose to stop believing in miracles. Because the brutality that happens when supposed miracles fall apart is almost unbearable. And I have had my fair share of broken miracles. Just look at my blog from a year ago. What an incredible miracle! And yet, two days after our first IUI cycle failed, John was killed in a motorcycle accident. Why bring such hope only to have such devastation take its place? 

I have welcomed grief into my heart time and time again. And it is so tiring...so heartbreaking. Some days I would hang my head and ask "can this please pass from me?" I identified with Jesus so much in those moments. Asking the Lord for a reprieve from such devastation. But it did not pass from me. And I had to choose to embrace it, or let it consume me. 

In light of the grief of my life, in remembering those moments where I felt like Job in all his suffering, I can see the mighty hand of God shaping me. Making me something that I could never have been without being broken again and again. 

I wanted to be whole. I wanted to live a life without devastation or grief. I wanted to not need anyone else to take care of me, to uphold me. I wanted to have my fairytale ending. Don't we all?

But, would we have any growth? Would we have any redemption? Would we pretend that our need for a savior doesn't exist? Would the true heart issues hidden down deep ever be brought to the surface? Probably not. Because we could convince ourselves so easily that the surface happiness of this life can satisfy the longing in our hearts that only God can satisfy. 

There comes a time, amidst suffering, when we come to a place where we can see some of what God is doing. We can see His glory and his wondrous love. This is not an understanding of the suffering, rather it's an understanding of our God. We cannot ever fully understand His reasoning behind our suffering. But we can understand Him, and who He is behind our suffering. 

With that in mind, I find myself, miraculously, and so suddenly, the mother of a 12 year old girl. 

7 and a half months after my husband died, I welcomed a child into my life. In a way that I never truly dreamed would be possible. 

I received a text 3 days before Christmas, asking if I was interested in adopting a 12 year old girl. I cannot tell you in a way that makes sense, but the Spirit was with me, and filled me with surety and I didn't even hesitate. Within an hour I was on the phone with some wonderful Christian ladies, discussing this little girl. We all said the same things: This is incredible. How is this even happening? How could God have moved so quickly? 

And then they said the most beautiful words "She was always meant to be yours. You're her mom. God worked this all out so that you could be her forever Mom. We just know it."

I want to be clear. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't work like this. I shouldn't just suddenly have a daughter 5 days after getting that phone call. It should not have worked out so perfectly and so quickly. 

But it did.

And I am here to remind you, we either believe that the Holy Spirit moves in incredible and miraculous ways, or we do not.

This doesn't mean that it's not incredibly hard. It doesn't mean that my daughter has not been hurt and left broken time and time again before she came to me. It doesn't mean that we saw each other and connected immediately. It doesn't mean that she fully trusts me. It doesn't mean that she believes me when I tell her that this truly is her forever home, and that I am never going to let her go. It doesn't mean that I don't understand the reality of a broken child and a broken widow making a life together.

She was a child without a mother...and I was a mother without a child. It's as devastatingly simple and as beautifully complicated as that. 

All the sacrifices I must make in order for her to live a happy, healthy, and loved life will be a million times worth it. If we are not called to die to ourselves for the sake of others, especially orphans, what are we called to?

I know better than most, that God calls us to hard things sometimes. And I ask that you come beside us in this. I ask that you see us. I ask that you embrace our brokenness and that you see the beauty in it too. I ask that you honor the hard and you pray for the sad. 

“When we adopt—and when we encourage a culture of adoption in our churches and communities—we’re picturing something that’s true about our God. We, like Jesus, see what our Father is doing and do likewise (John 5:19). And what our Father is doing, it turns out, is fighting for orphans, making them sons and daughters.” - Russell D. Moore




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto