Skip to main content

Control Amidst The Coronavirus

If you haven’t been living under a rock you’re probably pretty up to date on the latest pandemic sweeping through our world right now. Covid-19, the Coronavirus, has us all on our toes. And I’m tripping. 
Seriously, Anxiety, party of one? 🙋🏻‍♀️

I have a real problem with control. I’ve had it since I was a child. It manifested itself as a deep need to never be away from my mom (sorry for all the failed sleepovers Mom!). But really, it was just a deep need to be in my familiar, controlled environment. 
As a teenager and young adult I frequently felt the overwhelming desire to just “go home” whenever I felt too overwhelmed or anxious. Fast forward to living in the real life and discovering that going home didn’t work anymore. I was home, and I still felt out of control. 

I need a plan. If there isn’t one, I make it, and I get a gold star, every time, for sticking to it. But the world doesn’t work with timelines and gold stars. It’s a series of misdirections and mishaps that somehow shape us into something we never thought possible. 

Sometimes, deep down, I don’t trust God. Sure, the logical part of my brain does, I mean, He’s God. But my sinner’s heart doesn’t always get the memo. 

I don’t trust that He’s gonna give me the good things in life. I think I’m just going to keep being handed the short straw. So, in preparation for the disappointment of life, I mentally prepare for the worst. If if do that, then, logically, I’m not as disappointed when the times comes...which, of course, works every time (<—deep sarcasm). 

I’ve had my fair share of heartbreaking things in my life. Three years of infertility, the death of our son, seven years of secondary infertility, and throw in a failed adoption for good measure. And those are just the highlights.

I often find that in the midst of the hard things I am more able to trust in God and lean on Him. It is probably because there aren’t a lot of other options. When we are in the middle of the fallout its very clear whom we should be clinging to, because we can’t possibly control the disaster that is surrounding us. Its once the dust settles that our overeager sin natures try to overwhelm us with “common sense” and “logic”.
That’s when I’m unfaithful, that’s when I seemingly pat the Big Man on the back and tell Him “I’ve got it from here”. Because, obviously, I know how to best protect myself (deep eye roll).

So, in the midst of a global panic about a seemingly unstoppable illness threatening the lives of million…I just want to “go home”.

Now, I could describe to you the thousands of ways God loves and provides for me every single day/week/year. But, I’m pretty sure that you already know, and already know how He also has done that in your own lives.

So, I just want to say that I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you’re anxious or scared or angry during this time. I’m sorry that we all grew up and “going home” doesn’t work anymore. I’m sorry we live in a broken, battered, sinful world and we have to deal with the repercussions of sin, both externally and internally.

Sometimes we can know all the verses, hear all the stories, and pray all the prayers, and we are still left to just wait on the Lord. Waiting in our own iniquity. Trusting that God is working in our hearts on the microlevel, being faithful to us even as we are often unfaithful to Him. Changing a heart often takes time an effort, and we are sometimes prone to falling back into our old ways. 
So, I’m ever thankful for Jesus, who has redeemed us and removed the legalism of our faith from us. 

But, should we sin more that grace may abound more? Absolutely not. What I am saying, is that, I am a sinner. I struggle with anxiety and the need to control. God hasn’t removed this burden completely from me. I see you, I know intimately your pain and struggle. I choose to believe in the power of Jesus Christ and choose to trust in the almighty God. He has proven to be ever faithful.


Do not be afraid of moving slowly, my friends, only of staying still. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto