Skip to main content

In The Trenches

In a world of pregnancy announcements, gender reveals, and nursery themes, we are surrounded by fertility drugs, endless pregnancy tests, basal thermometers, and ovulation tests.

This month we are excitedly started another 6 month cycle of fertility meds. We spent a lot of time in prayer and got some amazing advice from my aunt (shout out Tante! We love you!) and decided on our new approach to my PCOS and infertility. 
I was blessed to see my CNM (most amazing lady! She delivered Kimber and has been a huge blessing) and we quickly got on track with a plan that includes:
-Progesterone (to induce periods that are often irregular due to PCOS)
-Metformin (for insulin resistance caused by PCOS)
-Clomid (to induce ovulation that is usually absent due to PCOS). 

I’m also taking my basal temperature each morning to hopefully track ovulation (because relying on ovulation tests isn’t very accurate when you have PCOS). 

(Can you see the trend of how awful PCOS can be?)

Going to see a doctor, for whatever reason, gives me some type of (slight) PTSD. My hands start shaking and my blood pressure rises and I stress way out in the waiting room. It doesn’t matter if it’s a doctor I know well or one I’ve never met. It even happens at the dentist. 
I was talking with John after this most recent bout with it, because I’ve never paid much attention to it, I honestly just try to control it and wonder why in the world I’m so anxious. He said it’s because I’m mentally preparing for the worst possible news, even if it’s just a routine exam, even if I was just there and was perfectly fine.
And he’s right, that’s 100% what I’m doing. It’s the exact way I dealt with knowing Kimber had died and I was waiting in that awful hospital room, waiting for the second ultrasound and second doctor and second opinion before they all confirmed “I’m sorry, you’re baby has passed away”. 
The PTSD also stems from some serious complications from a routine gallbladder removal mixed with an incompetent overly-arrogant doctor that led to a near death experience and a week in the ICU.
Both situations when people kept telling me I was fine, that’s everything would be ok, and it definitely was not. It was supposed to be normal and routine, and it was not. And apparently, the recesses of my mind does not forget. Because I prepare for a doctor appointment by getting into to fight or flight mode. At least, I guess, I’m more of fighter, so there’s that.

I don’t have a lot of insight or wisdom from that experience...it’s mainly just some fun new information for everyone. 
All I have is prayer, lots and lots of prayer. My prayers, other people’s prayers, because prayers work (you’re welcome for that little cliched reminder).

But, we are thankful that, even in the midst of the same issues and burdens, we have hope. Time and time again we are renewed as we place beads in our prayer lantern (see previous post) and experience Psalm 40:3 in our lives. 
God is continually giving us new songs of praise. 
When we are burdened and feel the words of praise slip away, the word of God is alive to us and we are reminded of the truth of the gospel and what that means to us.

Amidst the familiar struggles and failures we can see the new thing He is teaching us, how He is still shaping us and sanctifying us, creating something new. Even when I’m in the waiting room, bunkering down, preparing for the worst. Even then.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto