Skip to main content

A Petition For Prayer

I have often wondered the validity of the thought “should I stop praying for a child because God hasn’t given us one? Does that mean He’s answered ‘no’ and now I’m just obnoxiously asking over and over again?

I’m sure so many of you have asked yourself that question. About a child, or a spouse, or someone’s salvation, or a career, or a move, or school?

It’s interesting to me, as that thought had been a companion to my prayers lately. Am I living in disobedience by continually asking for something He has withheld from me up to this point? 

I read an article by John Piper (https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/when-should-i-stop-praying-for-something) In which he addresses my exact wonderings! The entire article is great, but this excerpt in particular:

“Isn’t it significant (I think it is) that in the Bible we have the statement “You do not have, because you do not ask” (James 4:2), but we don’t have the statement “You pray too much or too long”? We don’t have a statement that says, “You have things I did not want to give you because you kept on asking me when it was time to quit.” We don’t have anything like that.
In fact, all the emphasis in the New Testament is in the other direction. Keep on praying, don’t lose heart (Luke 18:1). Ask, seek, knock (Matthew 7:7). Wake up your friend at midnight if you must (Luke 11:5–13). Go back to the city judge until he gives you justice even though he just wants you off his back (Luke 18:1–8). I mean, those are amazing, horrible pictures of God. And the point is that he loves when we keep on coming and badgering him for something we want very badly according to his revealed will.”

What an encouragement! While I do have the same belief in the verses he quotes, and have even brought them up in my mind, I’m so thankful for the finality of the thoughts woven together. Because my hurting heart has been clouding my view in this subject for a while. A great reminder that our hearts are fickle and not to be wholly trusted because emotions are not always truth. 

Much of the grieving process is learning that our pain does not determine the sanctity of God, the overwhelming grief does not diminish the good and perfect will of our Lord and Savior. It is possible to live a life glorifying God, even when you’re hurt and broken, even when grief is laid so heavy on your heart that it hurts to hope again. 

Because God is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. A simple statement filled with incredibly profound truth. 

We have this little lantern in our home and a little jar filled with beads. It serves as a reminder to pray, specifically for a child, whenever we see it. When it reminds us to pray, we place a bead in the lantern. Granted, we frequently pray for a child and don’t put a bead in the lantern, but this is a tangible reminder to never stop praying until He tells us to lay it down and walk away. He has filled our hearts for the deep desire to be parents and, even after losing Kimber, the fear of experiencing loss has never stopped us from praying to have another child, for however long. 

We have been praying for 1,773 days for another child - almost 5 years. And we will continue to choose to pray for however long He lays it on our hearts. 

And, in our vulnerability, we once again ask you to join us in our prayers. We know some of you do still pray for us, some do it every day. But we know that there is strong power in prayer and we know the importance in specifically asking the body of Christ to join together to pray for you. 

So we humbly ask that you remember us in your prayers, petitioning the Lord for a child for us. 
Whether you know us personally, or just know of us, or are just reading about us for the first time, please place a bead in our lantern, knowing that we are so thankful that you joined us. 
We pray that the God is glorified in all of our struggles and that His will is done in our lives. 

And we also strongly encourage you to reach out to the body of Christ with your needs and prayers. Be vulnerable, be hopeful, be honest. For there is great power in the prayers of the body of Christ on your behalf. 

“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” 
-James 5:16 (ESV)

Comments


  1. One day our prayers will be answered. I know in my heart that it will happen. Sarah and Abraham waited and she finally gave birth. Your day will come .....
    Praying daily .



    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I will pray until you tell me to stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy!! We are so thankful for church family like you!

      Delete
  3. I rejoice in the Lord for the wisdom He has given you and for the ability to communicate it so well in your writing. I am so glad to be praying with you. (insert heart emoji here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friendship, and prayers, mean so much to me Amanda! Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto