Skip to main content

A Sacrifice of Thanksgiving

One of the most pivotal points in my journey after Kimber died was when another mother of loss gave me some advice. She gently encouraged me to work my heart towards thanking God for Kimber's death. 
I talked about to often with John for a while and, eventually, one night during our bedtime prayer I told John I was ready. 

"Thank you God for Kimber's death"

I felt like throwing up, and I wept in John's arms for a long time. It felt like it went against every fiber of my being, to be thankful for the death of the little red-headed boy who would have called me "Mommy". 

God commands us to give thanks in ALL circumstances ("give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" 1 Thess. 5:18). He requires us to die to our flesh by giving thanks in the midst of our adversity and for the adversity

That wonderful woman gave me an amazing gift. She pushed my heart in the right direction and led me by her own example of dying to self and obeying God. 
Our hearts fight against that sacrifice of thanksgiving. As mothers it is the most unbearable thing to lose our child. We struggle to thank Him because it goes against our feelings and our logic. But what a sacrifice to commit to it when everything within us wants to fight against what's happening. 

It's a surrender of control to the Sovereign Controller of all things. The acknowledgment that He is good and perfect, that His plan is good and perfect, and that He is in control. 

Last week I had a bad day. They don't happen as much anymore, but this one was just horrible. My heart ached so deeply for my son, and at times my soul felt so agonized that words couldn't express my pain and my prayers came out in sobs and groans. I actively sought the Lord in My suffering, and He met me. His strength in me enabled me to, once again, sacrifice and thank Him. Thank Him, not only for Kimber's death, but for the pain and suffering that has followed. For what his death has done in our marriage and in our family. 

I am continually renewing my mind to sing a song of sacrificial thanksgiving. Not only when it comes to the death of my son, but in all things, in all circumstances. Thanksgiving for the good flows from my heart easily. I will continue to renew my mind, for the sacrifice of thanksgiving must flow from me just as easily. 



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart. For being an example to younger women (IE me..) and for being so vulnerable. There are times when I do NOT feel so thankful...what an amazing reminder that God uses ALL things for HIS glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU so much for reading and for accepting my encouragement and my advice/experience.
      It's been such a blessing to share with you and with others! I know God has us in this place for a reason and I am beyond blessed to be able to share the comfort He has given me with others.

      Delete
  2. Love you Katharine. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto