Skip to main content

One Grieving Mother To Another...Give Grace

Grace can be defined as "the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to deserve it."

As grieving mothers we are gifted with so much grace from others. 

We have husbands who hold us while we weep uncontrollably and hold us together when we feel like our lives have fallen apart.

We have parents who look at us and our loss is mirrored in their eyes. They remind you that we are strong and that they are proud of you...even when we don't deserve it. 

We have sisters who weep with us, who let us rage about how unfair life us, and who remind us that they miss their nephew too.

We have friends who commiserate with us, and try their hardest to understand and to be there for us. Friends who think life is unfair too. 

 We have ushers in our church who hug us as we're suddenly weeping in our seats because the sermon is about motherhood, reminding us that we will be reunited one day.

We have countless women who hug us and weep with us on Mother's Day. Women who know our pain and women who don't.

The world extends us grace. They forgive unreturned phone calls and texts. They listen to angry rants and love us. They acknowledge our loss and accept that it has changed us forever in so many ways. They give us grace.

We must extend grace to the world as well...

Because people say some pretty stupid things. People say some extremely thoughtless things. People even say some hurtful things. 
But they really don't mean to. They are just so confused and they are trying to grieve along with you. They are so desperately lost for words that they cannot comprehend that what they're saying is awful, hurtful, or just plain ridiculous.

The point is that they are trying to ease our pain. They are trying to give us hope. They are trying to love us. They are trying to grieve with us.

They don't know whether to laugh with you, or cry with you, or just be normal, because they want you to feel normal again too. 

They have not experienced exactly our loss but they are trying.

Do not get angry at them, do not become bitter because they cannot understand what you've been through. 

Give them grace, because they are trying the best they can. 

Give them grace, because they are grieving too.

Give them grace, because sometimes life is just unfair.

Give them grace, because we were extended grace when we did not deserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto