Skip to main content

Just Say That You’re Proud

Sometimes I find myself living for you or at least wanting to live for you. It makes me so frustrated, if I’m being honest. Because there’s really nothing less satisfying than living for someone else. But I still find myself wishing I could just make you proud. Do things the right way…the best way…the perfect way. Despite the fact that you’ve never once demanded perfection from me  


Sometimes I shake off the dust of a hard days work and I want to wait for you to say it. 


Please…


Just say that you’re proud. 


That’s all I’m hoping for. Just a few words that remind me that I’m still doing good. Still working hard. Still worthy of all the things the world tells me I’m not anymore. 


I’m constantly shifting and changing and working my butt off to provide a wonderful life for my kid. It’s exhausting and sometimes I hate that you stopped telling me it. 


Just say that you’re proud. 


If you would just say it I think I could believe it. I could believe that I did it. That I saved me…that I saved her…that I saved us. And I made us into something that could never have existed without all the effort that cost me so much. 


I’m so sick and tired of waiting for you. Of being let down by you. Of wishing for anything else besides what’s right in front of me. Because wishing for you is like wishing for water in the desert. You’re just not meant to exist here. 


And so, because you refuse to tell me, I tell myself. 


I’m proud of myself for surviving.

I’m proud of myself for choosing my daughter. 

I’m proud of myself for deciding to try even when you stopped saying it. 


Even with all of that…I still catch myself off guard hoping for you…


Just say that you’re proud…


But you won’t…

because you died…

and I’m all that’s left to say it. 


I still wish you’d said it though…


After I adopted Laura…


After I went to therapy to stop the panic attacks…


After I went on a date and cried when I got home…


After I tried and failed…again and again and again…


After I cleaned out your garage…


After I swam with dolphins…


After I got that tattoo…


After I adventured without you…


I really like to believe that you’d be proud. Because for so long you were the most important person in my whole world…

And then you just died…and everything changed…and I had to keep going.  


Grief is a funny thing, you know. It always exists, in a million different ways. I can know with my whole heart that you’re in a better place, without suffering or grief. I can even choose to thank God for the life and death of the person I loved most in the world. I can know all the things…believe all the truths and still, every once in a while, wish you could…one more time…


Just say that you’re proud. 


The cost of loving you was this unending grief…that fades as time goes on but never disappears. 


But John, you will always have been worth it. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Died...2 Years Ago

  John Died...2 years ago. 2 years...how has so much time passed? It feels like just yesterday I was writing about the 1 year anniversary of his death, congratulating all of us for surviving the brutality of that first year. Regardless, it feels like now is a good time to throw out some life updates, talk about how life as a 2nd year widow is going. It's great...definitely great...well, it's ok...sometimes it's ok...actually sometimes it's awful...it's always awful...no, no, it's usually fairly good...sometimes it's amazing. I guess it really just depends on the day... I no longer reach out in the middle of the night for him. I don't grab my phone to text him about something that just happened. I don't look for him in a crowd. I don't struggle to fall asleep alone. I don't even dream about him anymore... It would seem, that even my subconscious has truly accepted that he's gone. That's good...right? He is no longer a part of any of my

Christian Widowed Mother (34) - On The Market

     Tomorrow would have have been my 15th wedding anniversary with John, had he not passed away just shy of our 13th anniversary.  It still sometimes boggles my mind that "death do us part" happened so much sooner than we planned. And yet here I am...out in the dating world attempting to find "it" again. It certainly has me feeling some type of way, let me tell ya. And I think the past 1.5ish years I've spent in the dating world has also made lots of other people feel some type of way. "It is what it is" seems a bit of a cliched response...but it really  is  what it is. In the absence of a husband with whom to celebrate a covenant made many many moons ago...I feel like now is a good time to update the world (or my small corner of it) on how dating as a widowed Christian mother in her 30s is going. Here are some things I've learned: -"Christian" is a term used by so many men...yet personified by so very few of them. I am in a somewhat con

I. Am. Brave.

  I. Am. Brave. I say those words to myself over and over again as I clean out my dead husband's garage and tool boxes and old work truck. I say them as tears fall, creating tracks down my face as they mix with the dirt and grease that have somehow found their way to my cheeks.  I whisper them as I sit in a freezing cold garage after hours of work that seem to not make a dent in reshaping John's old haven into something usable for the widow that I am now.  I sob them as I throw away another treasure, another memory...another moment lost forever. Just things...they're just things. But...sometimes "things" are all the tangibleness that's left after a 13 year marriage dissolves into tragedy. I. Am. Brave. I say those words as I sit at my kitchen table and homeschool my teenage daughter. Even though I never wanted to homeschool her. Even though I thought that I just didn't have the mental capacity to take on one more hard thing these days.  I say it as she sto